The Importance of a Dilated Eye ExamThursday, September 15th, 2022, 10:58 am
Having your eyes dilated may just feel like one more inconvenience, and you may just be wondering if you can skip it. But what exactly is this part of the eye exam for, and is it so important that you should have it done at every eye appointment?
Why does the eye doctor dilate my eyes?
Dilating the eyes widens the pupil, the black dot in the center of your eye. When the pupil is dilated, more light enters your eye, and your doctor can get a good look at the inside of your eye. To dilate your eyes, your eye doctor will administer eye drops, and then he or she will check for any issues such as
• Retinal detachment
• Age-related macular degeneration
• Signs of issues with your overall health – diabetes and high blood pressure can cause problems with your eyes
After having your eyes dilated, it might be a good idea to have someone drive you home after your appointment.
Do I have to have my eyes dilated at each eye exam?
You may not need your eyes dilated at each visit. Consult with your doctor; he or she will take a few things into account when advising you if it’s OK to skip this part of the exam:
• Your age. When you reach 40, your risk of eye disease increases.
• Your health history. If you have certain health conditions (such as diabetes), eye problems can be very serious, so your doctor will want to dilate your eyes to make sure they are healthy.
• Your eye health history. If you are just coming in for a routine exam and don’t have any concerns about vision problems, have never had any eye issues in the past, and you don’t have any health problems, your doctor may say it’s all right to skip having your eyes dilated.
Eye dilation is a wonderful tool eye doctors use to make sure your eyes are healthy – but it may not be necessary at every eye appointment. For optimum eye health, make an appointment for an exam at Marion Eye Center and Optical. Contact the office in Illinois (800-344-7058) or the office in Missouri (877-269-4545) today!
Category: Eye Exam