How often do I need an eye examination?Tuesday, June 15th, 2021, 5:58 am
Prevention is always the best medicine when it comes to your overall health and wellness. That’s why routine visits to professionals such as ophthalmologists are highly recommended to monitor the body for certain problems. Just as you go to a doctor for an annual physical, you also will need to take care to schedule routine visits with an ophthalmologist to monitor eye health. At Marion Eye Center and Optical, one of the many questions asked to our team includes “how often do I need an eye examination?”
To this question, there are various answers. This is because there are several factors that need to be considered when determining how often these visits need to occur.
Below are a few rules and recommendations to give patients a general idea of how often to schedule an eye examination with a medical professional:
- For most patients who have contacts or eyeglasses already, a vision checkup should be performed every year or two, as prescriptions expire and may need to be updated at this time.
- Comprehensive eye examinations, including those where dilation is needed, should be performed based on the patient’s age. Individuals between the ages of 20-39 should schedule one every two to five years, while patients over the age of 65 should have these done annually.
- Patients with special needs or trauma to the eyes will want to talk to their doctor about how regularly they need to have their vision assessed.
What are some signs that you may need an eye examination?
Even if you are visiting the ophthalmologist regularly, there are times when patients may need to schedule an evaluation outside of their routine appointments.
Below are a few signs that patients might need to make an appointment with their ophthalmologist:
- Headaches or blurred vision
- Difficulty reading while driving at night
- Spotters, floaters, or flashes of light in the vision
- Red, itchy, and dry eyes
- Squinting when reading
- Sudden changes in vision
Are you in need of an eye examination?
Contact the doctors at Marion Eye Center and Optical to determine if you are in need of an examination to monitor your vision health. Our providers are available at 36 practice locations around the areas of Missouri and Illinois, and continue to provide the best in vision care for new and established patients.
Category: Eye Exam