6+ Things You Don’t Know About Oculoplastic SurgeryFriday, April 15th, 2022, 6:50 am
OK, so the odds are you don’t know anything at all about oculoplastic surgery! But to start with, you should know that this important procedure can help you to see and feel better, and it even has some cosmetic benefits! Read on for some information about oculoplastic surgery and how it may be able to help you.
What is oculoplastic surgery?
Oculoplastic surgery is any procedure that is done around the eyes to correct problems with the eyelids, bones around the eyes, and tear ducts. Here are some other things to know:
1. It can be done to treat conditions such as droopy upper eyelids, eye problems caused by disease (such as Graves disease), weakness around the eyes caused by Bell palsy, tear duct problems, and birth defects that affect the eyes and the bones around the eyes.
2. It can also be done for cosmetic reasons, to eliminate extra fat and skin around the eyes – extra tissue around the eyes is a natural part of aging for many people. But it is also done for safety reasons – extra skin in the eyelids can make it difficult to see and unsafe to perform activities such as driving.
3. It can also be done to remove eyelid growths and skin cancers; reconstructing the eyelid can be done after the growth is removed.
4. Oculoplastic surgery can also help to correct issues caused by accidents or trauma to the eyes.
5. Most patients can go home the same day after the surgery. Typically, patients need about 2 weeks of time off of work and activities to recover and rest. You’ll want to avoid any activities that might raise your blood pressure.
6. Depending on the issue, oculoplastic surgery may be the last resort – your doctor may be able to help you with a solution that doesn’t involve surgery.
Another important thing to know about oculoplastic surgery is that you can count on the doctors at Marion Eye Center and Optical to help you with this important procedure, no matter why you need it. Contact the office in Illinois (800-344-7058) or the office in Missouri (877-269-4545) for an appointment!
Category: Oculoplastics Surgery